Families are welcome at Admirals Rest. There is plenty to keep the children amused with the long expanse of shingle beach just a short stroll away and local attractions also accessible by foot including our two castles, the Timeball Tower, Maritime Museum, Tides Leisure Pool, Walmer paddling pool and playgrounds.
Family friendly accommodation: The back bedroom is best for the children with its twin beds that can be zipped together to form a king size double if preferred. The cot can be set-up in the master bedroom or tucked at the end of one of the twin beds in the back bedroom (probably best when one of the beds is not in use due to the space).
There is a bath with bath toys as well as shower over the bath. There is a washing machine, dishwasher and microwave to make life simple. The outside courtyard is fully enclosed with a locking back gate. It is easy to get a buggy into the cottage with space to store in the dining room.
Baby/toddler equipment: High chair, travel cot, bed guard, toddler steps for the bathroom sink, upcycled cable drum table with 2 little chairs, socket protectors, bath toys, plastic crockery, cutlery and beakers. For amusement there is a box of books and games suitable for under 7s
Children’s toys and games: A selection of books, board games and children’s toys suitable for under 7s. Two micro scooters best for under 5s. There is also a small collection of DVDs several in 3D.
Children’s activities in and close to Deal
- relax and play on the shingle beach
- scoot along the pier and enjoy a Shmoo milkshake in Jasin’s
- Walmer open-air paddling pool with putting green and bouncy castle
- walk or ride the foot/cycle path along the seafront from Deal to Kingsdown (buggy friendly) stopping off to enjoy a cold drink at the family friendly Zetland Arms
- try yummy ice-cream at the Beach Parlour on seafront
- playgrounds at Mark Wood (Walmer) and opposite Tides Leisure Centre at Victoria Park
- at low tide Sandwich Bay has a sand beach for sandcastles and St Margarets Bay has rock pools
- The Pines Garden Tea Room and Museum at St Margarets has extensive paths for buggys and children can enjoy the Sense-ability Garden and the Sustainability Trail
- unlock the pirate treasure chest at National Trust South Foreland Lighthouse by completing the treasure trail (£1) and fly a kite for free in the grounds of the lighthouse
For older children:
- Deal Castle and Dover Castle to explore
- Betteshanger Country Park with its large adventure playground, walking, cycle and mountain bike tracks
- there are tennis courts next door to the playground at Mark Wood (opposite the Esso garage on the Dover Road)
- outdoor skate park to the side of Tides Leisure Centre
- incredible mass of fossils to be found on the beach at The Warren in Folkestone
- there is an indoor skate park and climbing centre (Revolution) at Broadstairs for older children
- for younger children there is the Helter Skelter play centre for 0-8 year olds with ball pond, slides and climbing frames. Broadstairs is approximately half an hour drive and has lovely beaches and fabulous restaurants too
- there is a bowling alley at Bugsy’s Margate
- cinemas at Sandwich and Westwood Cross (morning showings from £1.50)
- Westwood Cross also has a selection of family-friendly restaurant chains including Ask, Nandos, Fankie and Benny’s and BM Gourmet Steak Burgers plus shopping
- East Kent Railway for a heritage train ride and woodland walks
- plus Hornby Visitor Centre, Dreamland, Canterbury Roman Museum, Canterbury Tales, Dover Museum
There’s a wide choice of animal wildlife parks including Wingham Wildlife Park and the Aspinall Wild Animal Parks Howletts and Port Lympne. There is WildWood at Herne Bay. All of these animal attractions are between 30 and 45 minutes drive away.
Most family friendly places to eat:
- The Royal Hotel Boathouse Bar is a good place to eat as a family – it has a kids menu and a fantastic location by the beach with dining inside or out on the terrace.
- the pizzas from the wood fired pizza oven at the Deal Hoy are divine
- Jasin’s on the Pier has an extensive menu with the usual family favourites and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as for milkshakes.
- Sea View on Beach Street on the seafront for eat in fish and chips.